Monday, November 20, 2006

Movie Review Monday


You must see this movie. Seriously, get thee to a cineplex tonight. SuperHubby and I went to see it on Saturday night; I laughed until the tears ran down my face. I never quote movies, but I am constantly quoting this one.

Will Ferrell plays Harold Crick, an extremely boring IRS agent whose life is suddenly turned upside down when an omniscient narrator (Emma Thompson) begins describing his daily life. When the voice tells of his impending death, Crick embarks on a journey to find the voice and change his fate.

On his way, he meets Professor Jules Herbert (Dustin Hoffman.) Lit majors will enjoy Hoffman's scenes - he steals the show with his portrayal of an eccentric lit prof. The inventive quiz he gives Crick to see what novel he is in is one of the best scenes in the entire movie.

Although the ending is too neat, it really doesn't distract from the excellence of the rest of the show.

Go see this movie!

Wishful Thinking rating: 5 big, sparkly stars

4 Comments:

Chilihead2 said...

Oh! I've been wanting to see this one! Glad you liked it.

Scribbit said...

My parents saw it and raved and we're planning on a Friday matinee. We're so cheap, has to be a matinee. :)

Kathryn Thompson said...

"Aren't you glad you're not a Gollum?" Dustin Hoffman could not have been more perfect. We just saw it last night and really enjoyed it too.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... Maybe I'll go see it after all. I'd kind of written it off because Will Farell's movies are usually so awful.