Monday, November 06, 2006

Confessions of a Bad Mom

Today was not an easy day in the Thinking household. My sweet fetus apparently did not get the message that she is supposed to stop torturing me after the first trimester; thus I spent most of my day on the couch or hiding in bed, attempting not to lose my breakfast.

The rest of the day was spent battling a screaming, biting, tantrum-throwing toddler.

By the time dinner rolled around, I had just about had it. Tommy said he was hungry, I set him in his high chair and dished up some ham and navy bean soup. Two bites in he started screaming. Just screetching. I could not figure out what was wrong. He was still eating, but every bite was puncutated with high pitched shrieks.

I threatened time-out if he didn't stop. I yelled. I ignored him. But after about 20 minutes, I decided I'd had enough and it was time for dinner to be over. When I picked him up out of his high chair, I noticed his diaper felt like it needed changing. So upstairs we went.

Imagine my surpise and shame when I discovered that Tom's endless screams were not the result of temper, but the result of a horrible, bright red diaper rash. A new diaper and a little cream turned my screaming boy into a sweet thing once again.

I feel like such a bad mom.

8 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Goslyn. So sorry you still aren't feeling well. Don't worry about today, there is always tomorrow. We've all had those days. I remember them well.

Scribbit said...

Your life sounds like mine, since I've been back I've been running my four year old through detox, trying to break her of the tv, Halloween candy and grandmother-spoilage all at once. It's not pretty I tell you.

Unknown said...

I hope you're feeling better soon. We have all had days like that. Hope today goes much smoother and happier.

Anonymous said...

Well...we've all had those moments. It's easy to dwell on our mothering mistakes. We learn from them and we move on. Hugs for you and for Tommy---it's hard.

Anonymous said...

Missing a few cues here and there does NOT a bad mother make.

My daughter has weird toes due to the fact that I did not believe her when she complained that her new shoes were already to small. We had just BOUGHT them, had her feet measured for them and everything!

She wasn't kidding. Her feet grew SO fast!

She wears size eleven shoes now.

Everytime I see her feet I think
what a BAD mother I am!

Poor Tommy. That should be one of the baby signs. Now, what could the sign for 'ouchy bum' be?

Judy - www.judyh58.blogspot.com

Jen Rouse said...

The exact same thing happened with me and my toddler a couple weeks ago.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad it's not a requirement to post every 'bad mom' moment I've ever had. Usually when I yell at the cranky kids, they end up throwing up and spiking fevers and all sorts of good things.

I've actually drawn blood trying to get my eldest up the stairs for a time-out mid-tantrum. Purely accidental. Didn't stop me from bursting into tears and just about calling Children and Youth services on myself!!

We are still praying for you and baby!! :)

Anonymous said...

Poor baby! Both you and Tommy. Don't beat yourself up though. He'll be OK and you'll tune in differently next time.