Thursday, November 16, 2006

Happy Face

My baby has a face. It's a little sad that I just realized this yesterday. Until that point, in my mind she was still a little bean, a little lump of cells without any real definition.

She's been growing inside of me for 14 weeks now, persistently asserting her independence by telling when to eat, what not to eat, and when to bring everything I've eaten back up again. When her brother was this age, I knew everything there was to know about his development. I knew when his heart started beating, when he grew eyelids and ears, when his fingerprints developed.

But things have been different with this one. I've been so busy keeping up with life that I haven't thought much about the life that is growing inside of me.

So yesterday, when I realized my baby has a face, with eyelids and a nose and a beautiful mouth, I was surprised and ecstatic. How did she grow so fast? I wondered. She would nearly fill the palm of my hand if I could hold her, but I hope not to do that for many months yet.

She has ears and fingers and toes and if I could see her, I could confirm for you that she is, in fact female. Or maybe she's really a he. It will be a while until we find out.

She is beginning to be able to hear, a feat SuperHubby was glad learn last night. "I should be singing to her," he smiled, as he pressed his mouth close to my belly. "Hi baby, this is your Daddy. Be nice to mommy."

9 Comments:

Julie Q. said...

Be nice to mommy indeed. Because she's a talented writer who takes time to imagine her baby's tiny face and then share the moment with us. Plus she's growing a little human and that's a very tough job.

Jessica Spotswood said...

Oh, this is a lovely post! I'm sure she has a beautiful little face. We can't wait to meet her!

Jen Rouse said...

I completely understand what you mean about being so busy you don't have time to contemplate every phase of baby's development. It happened to me too, and I felt bad, like my second child was being neglected before she even left the womb. But now she's here and we're all happy and I don't think she minds.

Anonymous said...

So sweet! And before you know it you'll be able to smoosh her cheeks with kisses.

Stephanie said...

With Sydney I had a little calendar that detailed all the new developments and accomplishments as she grew.

With this one, I have been totally oblivious except what I have gleaned from doctor's appointments and ultrasounds. Funny how life is busier with the second one!

Heth said...

Awwwwww!

Scribbit said...

It is wonderful you can have a blog to record these feelings and events.

Unknown said...

Congrats on your pregnancy. Yes, the second one goes by much differently than the first.

Anonymous said...

You make my face smile and my heart swell with pride.