Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Ma Barton's Christmas Cookies



Ma Barton's Christmas Cookies

These are by far the very, very best rolled Christmas cookies I have ever tasted. They freeze beautifully - baked or unbaked - for later decorating. The icing included in the recipe is the best sugar cookie icing ever. This recipe makes a lot (about 8 dozen, depending on how big you cut them) of cookies, and is easiest to make in a stand mixer.

Preheat oven to 400.

1 c butter, softened
2 c sugar
3 eggs
2 Tbs. milk
1 tsp. vanilla

5 c flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt

Sift together dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cream butter and sugar in mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Add milk and vanilla, mix well. Gradually beat in dry ingredients. Divide the dough into two or three smaller balls. Roll out on a floured surface and cut into shapes using cookie cutters. Bake 6-7 minutes, or until edges are just golden and cookies are set.

(Purists only roll the dough out twice, however, I roll and re-roll the dough until all the scraps are used, and the cookies always turn out beautifully.)

Once the cookies are cool, frost with Butter Cream Frosting.

Butter Cream Frosting
(this may be tinted for really colorful decorations)

Beat together
6 Tbs. Butter
1 lb. confectioner's sugar
1-2 tsp. vanilla
add milk 1 tbs. at a time until creamy, but still stiff enough to decorate with.

Once you have the cookies decorated, let them sit at least 2 hours to dry completely before storing in a covered container.

10 Comments:

Anonymous said...

These sound yummy and pretty! I'm sure you'll have lots and lots of them beautifully prepared when your family arrives for Christmas! HeHe!!

Anonymous said...

Yum!! Thanks for the recipe!

Tracy

GiBee said...

These sound so easy ... very similar to my stand by recipe, but it makes so much more! I'll give it a try! Thanks for the recipe!!!

Scribbit said...

I re-roll also, unless my kids are around and then there are never scraps left over anyway.

Rae said...

Yum! The cookies & frosting sound delicious. Thanks for sharing =)

Heth said...

Mmmm. Cookies.

Someone Beautiful said...

Oh yummy! Would you mind emailing this to me? I tried to copy and paste it into an email, but it isn't working. Thank you! I posted a really good gingerbread cookie today too, and I'm always looking for great recipes.

Someone Beautiful said...

I should have given my email. :) lipslikehoney "at" gmail "dot" com

Stephanie said...

Ooh, yum! We love Christmas cookies, and now I'm craving them. Might have to make up a batch this weekend!

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Anonymous said...

I love that this recipe is on your blog!!! My mom's gonna be so tickled.

:) noelle