Saturday, November 11, 2006

Have You Hugged a Veteran Today?

My PawPaw served his country with honor during World War II. He never saw foreign soil, but he trained hundreds of young men who did. During the war, the US arms supply was so low that he trained his men with broomsticks, because they had no guns. Even under those circumstances, he, and the men he trained, made a difference.

This is the flag that draped the caisson when he was interred at Arlington National Cemetery.

I have a dear family friend who is a young marine serving in Iraq right now. This is his third tour, and every night I pray he will make it home safe and unharmed, as he has before. He is on or near the front lines, and I often find myself holding my breath when I come across lists of the dead.

Men and women like my grandfather and my friend spend their lives protecting our nation. Remember to thank a veteran today.

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa - what a tribute not only to your pawpaw and your friend but to all our service people past, present and future. Thank you for reminding us!

Chilihead2 said...

Thanks for the tribute to our men in uniform. Your Pawpaw sounds like an incredible man. I hope your friend finds his way home safely.

BTW, love your pic.

Anonymous said...

Your remembering service men and women and all that they have done to keep our country free demonstrates a tremendous awareness of the sacrifices made to keep our freedoms. I only hope others understand as well.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget about your BIL.

Jessica Spotswood said...

I was glad to spend a little of Veteran's Day with my own Papaw, also a veteran.

I love your new look! So pretty! And thanks for letting us all share in the countdown to the new baby!