Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Kitchen Help


Tired of a fussy toddler pulling at your legs while you try to cook or do the dishes? A nice step stool will generally solve your problems. The Tominator loves to help me cook, and we even get in some math practice when we bake.

Whenever he's being particularly difficult, I ask him to get his stool and help me cook. He always runs right out to the sun porch and tries to bring his stool in, even though it's much to big for him to do. Once we get him set up, he is happy as a clam. He has helped me make pizza (although he ate all the olives off before it got to the oven,) brownies, cakes, apple pie and a million other things. It's a great way to keep him entertained and educate him at the same time.

For instance, if we are baking from scratch, I let him help me scoop out the flour, baking soda and spices, counting as we go. Then I let him help stir the dough or batter. Sometimes he makes a bit of a mess, but that is cleaned up easily enough.




Don't forget to check out more Works for Me Wednesday tips over at Rocks in My Dryer.

9 Comments:

Stephanie said...

What a great helper Tom is! Sydney has a little step stool, but it's not tall enough for the kitchen counters. I might have to look into getting a nice tall one so she can help too!

Julie Q. said...

I'm impressed that you have the patience to let him help you. I should do more of this, but I'm of the "you can just WATCH mommy cook" variety. I appreciate your example.

Jessica Spotswood said...

That's such a smart idea! And also adorable. I can't believe how big he's getting!

Gingers Mom said...

I really should be more patient and let my kids do that. I brush them off so easily sometimes when all they want is attention and to help. Thanks for the reminder.

Found you through Crazy Hip Mamas

Rae said...

Awww, he is SO cute! Great tip too! =)

Unknown said...

I do the same thing with Gaby. Whenever I'm in the kitchen, she's standing on her step stool, cracking eggs or helping cut the ends off of fresh green beans. I don't even ask for help any more, she comes running.

Anonymous said...

Impressive in one so young!

I used to tell people that Mr. Roger's Neighborhood was the ONLY way dinner happened at our house. Instead of meals in 30 minutes, I could have written a book called "Meals During On Episode of Mr. Roger's".

Tommy is SO adorable!

Judy - www.judyh58.blogspot.com

Jen Rouse said...

My mom did this with my sister and I and as a result we both grew up with a love of cooking that has not abated with age. Beth loves to cook too. Pie is her favorite.

Anonymous said...

You're a GOOD mom!!