Tuesday, March 14, 2006

A weekend that cut the mustard

Super-Hubby, Tommy and I headed north on Friday, and spent the weekend in the Poconos. We stayed in this tiny, one-horse town right on a lake. Our condo had a gorgeous view and a jacuzzi. Need I say more?

But the best part of my mini-vacation was the local IGA. This town literally has four churches, two banks, a diner and an IGA. THAT'S IT. So I really wasn't expecting that much when I stopped in to pick up some supplies for our hike on Saturday. I grabbed some ham and some yummy rolls, then strolled over to the condiment aisle to pick up some mustard. And there, folks, I was met by an amazing sight. The mustard fairy had apparently descended on this tiny grocery store, for there were an amazing 70(!!!) different kinds of mustard on display. We're talking honey mustard, stone ground raspberry mustard, horseradish mustard, Dijon mustard, mustard that will do your math homework.

Even my local Wegmans, the mecca of gourmand grocery shoppers, does not stock 70 different mustards.

So there you have it. Weekend in the country + mustard = happiness.

9 Comments:

Diana Mancuso said...

That's incredible! 70 different types of mustards? That's unheard of.

My weekend at a ski chalet + rain = one miserable skier

Lei said...

Oh, that sounds like a heavenly get-away!

Anonymous said...

You must go to Mt. Horeb, Wisconsin, where the Mustard Museum is located. There are several hundred mustards to sample. You can get a t-shirt from the gift shop that says "Mustard Happens".

Your weekend away sounds like a great time.

Heth said...

That stone ground raspberry mustard sounds just heavenly. Glad you had a fun weekend!

Chilihead2 said...

Isn't it great what you find off the beaten path? My then b/f (big mistake, another story) once went through several small towns on a trip over spring break in college. One town that had very few people had a little liquor store that sold Bittberger beer from German (I think). It's one of those beers that isn't all too common and this little town stocked it! Weird. But in a good way.

Glad you posted again. I was about to start stalking YOU.

Anonymous said...

Don't tell my husband or he'll show up at your house for a sandwich. He is a total mustard connoisseur and insists that I keep several kinds in stock. I just don't get it.

sweet mama entropy said...

I wonder if the mustard phenomenon is due to the large (desecded-from-)German population in that area.

But the thing that really prompted me to comment was Wegmans. I have not lived in NY (home of Wegmans) for nearly five years now and yet I still carry their "shoppers-club" card around on my keychain. I pine for that store. Enjoy it for me next time you stop in :)

Jessica Spotswood said...

This sounds like a lovely weekend! I'm glad you had a chance to get away.

Grammy said...

Man, I didn't even know there were 70 different kinds of mustard.