Monday, March 20, 2006

Spring and Other Random Thoughts

I let Coltrane out in the backyard this morning, and there were tiny little snowflakes floating through the air. So much for the first day of Spring.

Luckily, the flurries were short lived. Now it's just cold and windy, but at least it's clear. Spring is just being a tease. Two weeks ago, it was sunny and 70 degrees. My daffodils popped up above the ground sporting big, fat, buds. My crocuses, poor things, bloomed. Now we've reverted to cold, 30 degree weather and my poor flowers are all a-shiver.

Or maybe I'm just all a-shiver.

It is hard to believe that Spring is here. The past seven months have just flown by, and I can't help but wonder if the rest of my life will follow suit. Will I wake up one morning and realize that I am 80 and that my life has rushed by so quickly that I hardly had a chance to enjoy it?

My best childhood friend lived two houses away, and the path to her house lay through a neighbor's yard. I remember one spring when I was maybe 6 or 7, calling her house and asking if she could play. Her mother told me to come over in five minutes.

I ran out in the yard, unable to wait in the house. And there I stood, dancing around, peeking at my digital watch every three seconds, willing the minutes to hurry up and move, already! Five whole minutes was a long time to wait to see my best friend.

But now five minutes passes in a blink of an eye. Winter rushed by so quickly I barely made my hot chocolate quota. Spring has arrived and Tom is blooming and growing so fast it makes my head spin. Every day I wake up and he is less of my baby and more of a big boy. This weekend, his Grammy taught him how to hold on to the furniture and cruise around. He is so good at it!

I don't know whether to applaud or to fear the onset of spring, when the world grows and changes at a crazy pace. Some days I wish I could slow time down. Maybe I just need that old digital watch with the cheap plastic band.

9 Comments:

Rachelle said...

I want to slow down time too. Mainly because my child grows too fast and it can't be almost a year since he was born. It does fly by doesn't it?

Lei said...

I don't know about you, but I have felt like I was in a time warp ever since having my first baby!

Anonymous said...

The only time the seconds crawl by are the 15 minutes before Sydney goes to bed, when all I want to do is crash on the couch and relax! Otherwise...zoom! Where did my day go?

Sorry about the snow on the first day of spring! What a bummer.

Diana Mancuso said...

Time is precious. I'd like to get me a digital watch. You know what, Goslyn? I'm a bit of a slow reader. But this post was so poetic, I breezed through it.

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

Seriously. Where does the time go???? I wish it would slow way down...

Grammy said...

I have never liked the false spring thing. I definitely want 4 seasons (which we don't get here in Houston) but I'd like them to ease into one another gently. That way I could prepare myself for what is to come. I hope your real spring is just around the crner. I absolutely love Spring in PA/NJ. Are the forsythias blooming yet?

Jessica Spotswood said...

It is supposed to snow a little in DC today. It's freezing. I am not amused. Lovely post, though!

Chilihead2 said...

I have been thinking that same thing. I think time actually SPEEDS UP when you have kids. I look at Max and can't believe he's already 8. And Wild Thing? When did she get so big? She'll be six in two months! I thought I just had her in the babysling at Pottery Barn yesterday!

Anonymous said...

This is why I hold my grandson all day. I look at him. He is growing right before my eyes.

With my kids, I had so much to do. Now nothing seems as urgent as holding the grandbaby.

But, on the other hand, I LOVE having adult children! It's so cool that you get to raise people who are interesting enough that you want to hang around them. My only regret, I wish I'd had more.