Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Good News/Bad News Wednesday

Good News: I am once again wearing my size 8 boot-cut Levis.
Bad News: They look like they were painted on.

Good News: I didn't even have to lay down to zip them!
Bad News: The only reason I'm wearing them is because everything else I own is covered in baby spit up.

Good News: These are jeans that have not seen the light of day for more than a year!
Bad News: I personify the line in Trace Adkins' Honkey Tonk Badonkadonk:
"Lord have mercy how'd she even get them britches on?"

Thank goodness I have a long sweater to cover my bum.

All this leads up to a post begging you other young mothers to tell me what you wear and where you shop. My wardrobe is in very, very sad shape. It mostly consists of jeans that are either too tight, too loose, too short or too long, ugly, shapeless long-sleeved t-shirts and some hip-length sweaters. That's it.

I tried to go shopping over the weekend, but let me tell you, there was nothing that was even remotely attractive. I would love to wear some clothing that is cute and stylish, but does not make me look like a big plaid pumpkin or is so low cut as to ride down when I am carrying my son. (Had this problem with a shirt I thought was ok, but clearly wasn't.)

Oh, also, it needs to be nursing accessible and look good on a slightly-shorter-than-average (5'4") very curvaceous woman who is still pear-shaped, despite her big nursing bazoombas. And comfortable. And preferably machine wash- and dry-able. Right. I'm not too picky.

I think I'll just declare the mu-mu my official clothing option. Would make life much easier.

8 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting into your britches! I'm not what you would probably consider to be a "young" mother (careening toward 35). I buy a lot of stuff at Target. My wardrobe is undergoing a HUGE change right now, anyway... :)

Heth said...

Hooray for getting the jeans on! It doesn't matter how tight they are, the main thing is that you got them zipped. That TOTALLY counts as wearing an 8. I wish I had some great fashion tips for you. I shop Old Navy clearance racks. In my dream world, I shop Express.

Anonymous said...

How about a young grandma?

I took my mom to an appointment today, and when I helped her remove her coat, we noticed we were wearing the same shirt!

Yes. I DO have the grandma look, and I buy it either on sale at Younkers, or thrift.

I'm glad you are wearing zip pants! That was my downfall with my youngest son. I wore the stretchy maternity pants for TOO long. I should have put up with the discomfort and ate less.

Wisdon came late for me...

Anonymous said...

I, too, shop clearance racks at Old Navy, but am more and more disappointed with style and fit. My wardrobe's not the best, either, but I have it on good authority that there are some great treasures to be found at the Jewish Community Center sale in Allentown - I think it's sometime shortly after Easter. I don't know about you, but at this point, I'll try anything if it means looking decent at a good price.

Let me know if you want to come along - I'll get more details on dates and whatnot.

Oh, by the way, the last day of the sale is "bag day" - fit everything you can in a bag and pay about $10, I think.

Bobita said...

Absolutely...TOTALLY COUNTS!!!

By the way...WAY TO GO!

Grammy said...

Yes, of course "it counts". Hey, you didn't have to pull the Venezuelan girl trick of smearing vaseline on the thighs to get those 3 sizes too small pants on over the equipment.

I'm old, but I really think the Rider stretch pants and jeans from Wal-mart are comfy and good looking.

Diana Mancuso said...

I'm looking for something that fits that description. When I find it, you'll be first to know!

Chilihead2 said...

I'm so damn jealous. Size 8? Whatever. Good for you, though!

I shop at Kohl's in the Jr's dept. It's cheap, it's trendy, and they make big enough sizes for those of us who don't wear an 8. ;) Believe it or not, I also saw some VERY cute skirts at Wal-Mart this week.