Tuesday, January 03, 2006

A New Year's Meme

I’m back from my hiatus (also known as a crazy Christmas vacation) and ready to blog again. I have so many wonderful memories to share; I also have lots of thoughts for the New Year. I have so much to say, in fact, that I was having trouble getting organized. (Not to mention having trouble finding the computer under all the laundry we managed to generate during our trip.)

So, instead of thinking of something wonderfully creative, I decided to tag myself from a meme that Mopsy has on her site. You know what they say: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Thanks, Mopsy.

1. What did you do in 2005 that you had never done before?
Traveled to Ireland, danced the Irish broom dance in a pub, collided with an ambulance, bought a brand-spanking-new car, traveled to New Mexico, toured a defunct silver mine, and oh yeah, had a baby. (Not necessarily in that order).

2.Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I have no idea what my resolutions were last year, so there’s a good chance I didn’t keep them. I have decided that making formal resolutions is a waste of time. “Eating less chocolate” and “Spending more time with God” are laudable goals, but I never, ever keep it going.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yep. Me. And my next-door neighbor. And her sister. And a dear childhood friend.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Nope, praise God.

5. What countries did you visit?
I visited Ireland to attend a friend’s wedding. Other than that I mostly stayed on the east coast, except for our Christmas getaway to Arizona and New Mexico. And Texas.

6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?
A closer walk with God. The gift of enjoying each day, instead of constantly living in the future. Fewer days spent at our very fine St. Luke’s Hospital.

7. What dates will remain etched in your memory and why?
June 19th, August 13th, September 2nd. These are all days I went to the hospital. The first, in an ambulance after Super-Hubby ran a red light and hit an ambulance. I was seven months pregnant, but he’s the one who got hurt. The second, because that’s the day I FINALLY gave birth. The third is the day Super-Hubby was readmitted to the hospital with a hugemongous blood clot in his leg that the docs think might be a souvenir of the accident.

8. What’s your biggest achievement of the year?
Oh geez. I dunno. Becoming a mother? That seems lame.

9. What was your biggest failure?
My lack of ability to stay even remotely organized once Tommy entered my life. I hate the slob I have become.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Yes, but not too badly. My legs were a little banged up in the crash, and I have a fantastic scar on the front of my left shin, just below the knee, that is from the fabric of my pants melting into my leg when the airbag deployed. The baby, thankfully, was fine.

11.What was the best thing you bought?
My beautiful new minivan. It’s red. It’s still a minivan, but at least it’s sort of sexy. (Hey, don’t disillusion me.)

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Super-Hubby has been incredible, loving, supportive and amazing. My folks and his folks have also been fantastic, especially surrounding Tom’s birth.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and disgusted?
Many national figures have appalled and/or disgusted me this year. Seems every time I turn on the TV I see something new and frightening. But I was most disgusted by Super-Hubby’s bosses this year. They jerked him around and were downright terrible to him.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Wow. Hospital bills, doctor bills, new car bills, bills for baby stuff. That’s most of it, I guess. Oh, and a mortgage. And now our ever-increasing gas bill to heat our house. Ugh.

15. What did you get really, really excited about?
Ireland, the baby, the baby, the baby …

16. What song will always remind you of 2005?
Pass.

17. Compared to this time last year are you?
a) Happier or sadder? Mostly happier. When I’m not wondering what happened to my life.
b) Fatter or thinner? I’m about the same I guess. Maybe a little heavier since I lost weight in the early part of my pregnancy.
c) Richer or poorer? Poorer in money, richer in love.

18. What do you wish you had done more of?
Romping. (I’m leaving Mopsy’s answer. I like it.)

19. What do you wish you had done less of?
Waiting. Waiting for whatever the next fun thing I thought was going to happen to happen.

20. How will you be spending New Year’s Eve?
I spent New Year’s Eve in baggage claim.

21. Did you fall in love in 2005?
Yes, with my son.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
“Medium”

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No. I don’t hate anyone.

24. What was the best book you read?
I don’t know. Probably something embarrassingly entertaining with the literary value of a bag of potato chips.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
That I can still play my saxophone. Maybe Super-Hubby and I will start that band after all.

26. What did you want and get?
A baby. A new car.

27. What did you want and not get?
Nothing.

28. What was your favorite film this year?
“Batman Begins”

29. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
I turned 25. Super-Hubby set up our living room like a beach and we had a picnic of fried chicken. It was wonderful, especially since we didn’t get to go to the actual beach this year.

30. What one thing would have made your year measurably more satisfying?
Less time in hospitals. A trip to the real beach.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion in 2005?
Fashion? What’s that? You mean this old t-shirt and these ratty jeans don’t count?

32. What kept you sane?
Super-Hubby. My mom. Friends. Wish I could say God, but my relationship with Him has been … cursory at best. I miss it.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Nobody.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Iraq. The prisoner abuse scandal.

35. Who did you miss?
I miss a lot of my friends. I miss having a closer relationship with Jen. I miss having family close by.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
My son.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005.
That epidurals are the most wonderful creations ever. Period.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I’m skipping this one too, cause I’m horrible at remembering lyrics. Just ask Super-Hubby. He knows every word that’s ever been put to music, and I have trouble remembering the words to “Happy Birthday.”

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! You were missed!

What a great post. I love the friend chicken for your birthday, the falling in love with your baby, and the praises of epidurals. I loved mine too! (My mom really wanted me to go "natural," but I don't feel a bit guilty for having got one.)

Anonymous said...

Yay, you're back.

I'm glad you did the meme---it was fun to read. And I wish you a lovely New Year, too.

Lisa said...

glad to see you back! And great meme... I learned so much about you!

Jill said...

Hi! I'm snagging this meme to copy too. It was inexpressibly lovely to see you and Super-Hubby and Tommy at Jessie's party...three weeks ago now. :)

~jill

Jessica Spotswood said...

I'm glad you're back! I stole the meme from you. You have so many great answers. And yay for the resolve to live more fully in the present. Me too.