Friday, October 06, 2006

What My Weekend Was Not

Well, our weekend away was not the cable TV gorge-fest I had anticipated, but it was still a great weekend.

I guess after so many years of living a cableless life, I had forgotten just how pointless most television shows are. SuperHubby said my standards have become much higher, and I was sorely disappointed in the selection, even though I had upwards of 70 channels to choose from.

But cable TV was not the point of the weekend. The point of the weekend was to get away and visit with our friends, and that part was lovely beyond lovely.

The wedding was gorgeous, and the bride was one of the prettiest I have ever seen.

The reception was lovely and the food was delicious. Catching up with our friends was the best part, though. I had real adult conversations, not punctuated by "hold on just a moment" while I ran frantically after the Tominator. I sat through a whole meal, and only had to feed myself. Oh, the joy.

The purse I carried? Tiny! So small I could only fit a tube of lipstick and a compact in it. No shoulder-pulling diaper bag for me! I was a liberated woman for 48 whole hours.

After the wedding, SuperHubby and I crashed in our hotel room for a late-afternoon nap. When we woke up (of our own accord, not to the baby cry that is our standard at-home alarm) we decided to dine out at a local Italian resturant. We lived on the edge and ordered brick-oven pizza with spinach and tiramisu for dessert. Yummy. The resturant served water in mason jars with long tubes of pasta as straws. That part kind of creeped me out, because by the end of dinner, my straw was melting into my drink. Plus, as a veteran straw-chewer, I was thwarted in my attempts to gnaw on the end of the pasta without biting off nasty soggy raw pasta.

But other than that the meal was good.

On Sunday, we got up and went to church, and I got to sit through the WHOLE service and actually listen to the sermon. I did not have to read The Very Hungry Catepillar in an undertone, or entice a wiggly 14 month old behind to sit on the pew beside me. I did not have to leave church while the priest blessed communion, because I did not have someone sitting on my lap who wanted to loudly "help."

And then we went home, and what a homecoming we had! The Tominator's grin nearly split his face in two, and I wasn't sure he would ever unlock his little arms from around my neck. Can't beat that with a stick, I tell you.

8 Comments:

Judy said...

How delightful!

We can't wait for our yearly trip to Wisconsin, where we will get away from Youngest Son. We is 22. He won't be smiling big when we return, either. Although, my parents come on this trip with us, so it has the potential of being rather stressful.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm so glad you had a great time! Liberated is the word, huh? What a refreshing thing to get away! But of course the Tominator was so happy to see you, that's really cute too!

Jessica Spotswood said...

Thank you! I'm so glad you had a good time at the wedding--and with the whole weekend getaway. I continue to get compliments on your fabulous music, too!

sweet mama entropy said...

Wow! That sounds so nice. There are just so many moments in that post that I'm envious of! (Maybe one day :) I'm so glad that you had such a good time!

Heth said...

Tiramisu?! Tiramisu?! Did you bring me any?

Sounds just lovely. I'm glad you had a good time.

mommaladybug said...

What a blessing to just be with each other! It'll be nice to do that with my hubby in a year or so.

Jen Rouse said...

I totally hear ya on the TV thing. We didn't have cable TV for four years (by choice, also). Then we moved to a new place where it comes included in the rent. And there is nothing good on! It's just a pointless time sucker.

I love getting away with my husband. The few times it's happened in our 26 months of parenthood, it's been delightful. Such a sense of freedom. And of course the homecoming is lovely too.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had both a wonderful weekend away and a grand welcome home reception from Tom.

The best of two very good worlds.

PS: Aren't tiny purses the best?!