Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Not at all what I expected

I had a flash this afternoon, as I was standing at the sink washing dishes and listening to Super-Hubby tickle Tommy in the living room. My son's laughter bounced around the room and ricocheted off the light fixtures and I thought, "This is not at all what I had expected."

I really have no idea what I expected parenthood to be, but I suspect that I expected it to be a fairly solitary adventure, just me and baby, with daddy being more or less in the background. Not because I thought Super-Hubby would be bad with the children, but because the only child-watching experience I have is as a babysitter and as a nanny - both occupations where you are alone with children. It didn't even occur to me that there would be times - like when I was up to my elbows in hot, soapy water - that Super-Hubby would take over the child rearing. Or maybe it did, in theory. Maybe I just didn't expect to get such a kick out of it.

There is something magical about working in tandem with my husband to raise our son, to build our family. I was doing chores, but I was completely at peace. I loved listening to Super-Hubby do his Elmo impression. I loved listening to Tom giggle and shriek. Lovely.

9 Comments:

Chilihead2 said...

Some of my favorite memories of my kids are just listening to them play with their dad upstaris. It's an entirely different dynamic.

Heth said...

That is so sweet Goslyn.

Anonymous said...

Lovely indeed.

Anonymous said...

Did he do his impression of Elmo singing Tori Amos? That always cracks me up.

Jessica Spotswood said...

I'm glad that both of you are so involved. That sounds sparkly indeed.

Anonymous said...

He's a blessed little boy.

Anonymous said...

It's those moments of togetherness that make me so thankful. The giggles. The singing. The silliness that holds families together.

Lovely post.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait until you guys have another one (or two, or three....). Witnessing a good dad is truly breathtaking, but nothing's quite as sweet as catching a good big brother comfort or make a baby sibling laugh, and being able to catch hubby's eyes, hands, or embrace at the same time. :)

Rachelle said...

I love the family feeling and how it all cohesis. My dh is Mr. Mom while I work and I love how seamlessly the care transfers from me to dh to back again and how when we are all home together, it just flows. I know my son is blessed to have parents who love and care for him so much, just as your boy is blessed.