Thursday, February 02, 2006

Bruce

His name was Bruce, and he was wearing a dress.

Well, not a dress, per se. It was more of an ivory chiffon skirt-and-woman's blouse ensemble, complete with stockings and a lovely turquoise necklace and matching earrings. Picture Tim Curry, with long scraggly hair, lipstick, blue eyeshadow and a dress, and you have a pretty accurate picture of Bruce. Only Bruce is about 6' 4". I don't know how tall Tim Curry is.

Bruce was my partner at a local contra dance that my friend Jen and I went to on Saturday. If you've never heard of contra dancing it's sort of square-dancing meets old-fashioned formal line dances, such as the Viennese Waltz. (Think of the ball room scene from The Sound of Music, but put everyone in really ugly/weird-looking clothes.) The dances generally feature live musicians and a caller. You don't need to know anyone there to enjoy yourself, and you switch partners after every dance.

Anyhow, Jen and I showed up to the dance, and as I was taking off my coat I noticed Bruce. "Is he wearing a ... dress?" I whispered to her. She responded that he was, indeed wearing women's clothing. She had danced with men in kilts before, but the chiffon skirt was new to her. "Unusual," she said.

We discussed the finer points of Bruce's apparel, then got down to the business of dancing. At one point, I ended up briefly partnering with Bruce during a dance. It was long enough for him to ask me for the next dance ... and really, how was I supposed to refuse? The thing about contra dancing is that you really don't dance all that much with your partner, because you are constantly moving up and down a line of people via various dance moves.

But Bruce was very nice. He had a very deep, masculine voice, and a five o'clock shadow. Broad shoulders and not much body fat. And pearly pink fingernail polish.

It was quite a night.

11 Comments:

Anonymous said...

You always have the stories with wildly colorful people. I could see you now....dance dance dancing with your new skirted pal......

Anonymous said...

You always have the best stories with wildly colorful people. I could see you now....dance dance dancing with your new skirted pal......

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, stacey (my fellow milk maid), I had no idea you were such a great writer. Now if only you'd asked Bruce what was up with the lady's clothing. He *was* dancing the "boy" part, right?

Chilihead2 said...

Weird. That's just plain weird. And still, I'm glad you blogged about it. :D

Chili

Heth said...

Ok, that is so funny. Was he a good dancer?

Anonymous said...

I wonder if he lost a bet? Or maybe Bruce just likes to feel pretty.

What a story! :)

Lisa said...

rofl! Just when you think you've seen everything, right? :-)

Anonymous said...

I promised if I visited the blog I would actually comment, so here I go! I'm not familiar with contra dancing, but I did wonder if there were a lead part and if Bruce did in fact take the lead. I did some swing dancing in college and I usually ended up leading, but I was usually the one in the dress...

Jessica Spotswood said...

Contra dancing sounds like fun! I'm glad that you've been able to take some time for yourself, too.

Polka Dotted Pickles said...

Interesting adventure! :) Thanks for commenting on my blog.

Chilihead2 said...

Goslyn? Gos? Where are you? Hello (hello)?