Thursday, January 11, 2007

Will You Salute?

*UPDATED*

Just running this up the flagpole ...

I am thinking of starting an online Bible study group. I led a women's Intervarsity Bible study for three years in college, and really, really enjoyed spending time in the word while getting to know other like-minded young women. The studies were non-denominational and based on workbooks.

I would participate in a Bible study here, only my church doesn't offer one. I have gone to Bible studies offered by other churches, but the reception has been friendly but strained - after all, I am not one of them. So.

I was thinking that perhaps I could start a Bible study for some of my online buddies. I would be interested if following the format with which I am most familiar - the Bible study workbook/guide. They are usually fairly inexpensive and not difficult to find.

The study would be open to all believing Christians, or to people who are interested in learning more about God's Word. We could have a weekly chat where we could discuss the questions and passages for the week - and also take some time to get to know each other on a more personal level.

Would anyone be interested in participating?

Please let me know via comments or by email at goslyn(at)gmail(dot)com.

*UPDATE*
Thank you to those of you who have shown interest. I am going to wait a few more days and see if anybody else would like to join, then I will email each of you to discuss workbook options and meeting times.

One of my posters wondered why I didn't just start a study at my own church, and I feel like I should address that question, as it is a good one.

We are Catholics, and have always been very active in our church, especially in the music ministry. I had inquired last year about starting a women's Bible study, and was told that I could do that and a priest would be happy to help me organize, etc. But with a newborn infant, I just didn't get my act together.

When a new Monsignor was assigned to our church a few months later, the feeling of the church changed. Instead of being appreciated and encouraged in the work they do to help grow the church community, active volunteers were handed lists of rules and regulations for church participation.

Although the church offers theology courses, taught by a priest, I get the strong feeling that independent Bible study groups are no longer being encouraged. So, that's why I'm not starting a study at my church.

7 Comments:

Heth said...

Goslyn, while I would love to participate, I have enrolled myself in way too many bible studies so far in '07. Actually four right now. Is there such a thing as too much bible? Anyway, the heaviest hitter I am in right now is a Precepts Study by Kay Arthur and those always kick my butt.

Long ramble, but I would love to lurk around a bible study, I just can't commit.

Anonymous said...

Why not try to begin one locally? Perhaps there are other women that feel just like you. I'm thinking seeing women face-to-face is better than online. Maybe even think "Playgroup/Bible Study?"
Just a thought, -JJ

Kathryn Thompson said...

Send me more info when you get a plan set up. K?

Candace said...

I would do it with you. Let me know what you work out.

Anonymous said...

What kind of a church doesn't have a bible study group? For pete's sake -- start one at your church. I'm sure other people would be interested in it, and you'd have some support from leadership (hopefully) to get materials and any assistance.

Special K ~Toni said...

I would LOVE to be involved with this- I will make sure I am able- Let me know the details!!

Angi said...

I would like to be a part of one. Let me know which one you are thinking of before I 100% committ though. (Want to make sure it's not one I've done before.)