Tuesday, May 23, 2006

A Rose by Any Other Name ...

Would still smell like a flippin' flower.

Ok, I know it's Tuesday, but I just wasn't on the ball yesterday. Here's this weeks:



My parents named me ..... because ....

My name is Stacey Morgan, and I'm told my sister - 10 years my elder - picked out my name. Which I think is cool. I have no idea why she picked that name, except that Stacey (or Stacy or Staci) was a fairly popular name when I was born.

My mom likes to say that I was named for Stacey Keech (the actor) but I'm not sure why that is a good thing. Not that he's not a great actor, he may be, but WHY would you name your daughter for a man?

Anyhow, now I am pretty ambivalent about my name. It suits me, but I do not think it is some paragon of amazing name-i-tude. It used to drive me crazy that nobody spelled it right, but now I really don't care.

What really gets me is that my driver's license is wrong. When I married, I decided to drop my middle name, so that my official name would be Stacey (maiden name)(married name). Which is how it appeared on my Maryland license. When we moved to Pennsylvania, the clerk at the DMV refused to honor that and instead hyphenated my name. So now my license lists me as Stacey (maiden name-married name). Drives me batty. My name is not hyphenated!!!

Anyhow, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

7 Comments:

Mall Worker said...

Thats rude! They should have honored it!

Lee said...

I am named after my Grandpa, so it is cool to have a guys name. lol..
I can't believe the hyphonated your last name, I would be ticked!

Nichole said...

Very rude! She had no authority to do such a thing! pshaw!

sweet mama entropy said...

I got to keep all my names on my Utah license - Jessica (middle)(madien) (married), which is the way it should be according to my Social Security card. But Texas is a whole other country after all, and one where they apparently only recognize three names - Jessica (madien)(married). Thank goodness they didn't insist on a hyphen. My name is not hyphenated either. I feel for you!!

Rachelle said...

That was mean of them to hyphenate your name! I like the name Stacey. I don't hear it much any more these days. I had one last year. All the Stacey's I know are awesome!

Diana Mancuso said...

I don't understand why they couldn't honour that. You made it official when you got married.

Chilihead2 said...

I was almost named Martha or Hannah. When I was older, my parents had a crafting business they named Martha-Hannah.

My brother was almost Miles Peter. Thank god my mom saved us from that!