Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Nut-Free Streusel


Superhubby can't eat nuts, and I've been searching for a decent nut-free streusel recipe for years. Finally I found one that I could adapt, and I am so excited.

2/3 c. uncooked regular oatmeal, coarsely chopped in a food processor
2/3 c. all-purpose flour
2/3 c. sugar or packed brown sugar
5 T melted butter
1 t cinnamon (or use 1/2 t each ginger and nutmeg)
1/4 t salt

Mix all ingredients together with a fork until crumbly. Top baked goods (coffee cake, muffins) and bake as directed. This recipe freezes well, too, if you end up with more streusel than you can use.

I made this with ginger and used them to top cherry muffins a few weeks ago. Delicious!

4 Comments:

Unknown said...

Cherry muffins? THAT's the recipe I want, since I've got at least three pounds of tart cherries in our freezer. Maybe you could slide that up on the food blog?

Nikki said...

Sounds really yummy. I second the request for the cherry muffin recipe. Those sound yummy too!

Heth said...

Top baked goods or eat straight out of the bowl with a spoon.

Jessica Spotswood said...

Ooh, this sounds yummy! I might have to try some streusel on top of the muffins I'm baking this weekend.