Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Wednesday Joy

This morning, just shy of dawn, I heard my son stirring in his crib. He was chattering sorrowfully to his stuffed duck. I cracked open my heavy eyelids and prayed he'd go back to sleep.

"Just 30 minutes more," I silently begged. "Just 30 minutes more."

But his pathetic conversation continued, and I there was no way I could leave him in his crib when he sounded so sad.

I hauled myself out of bed and down the stairs to his room. He was laying on his stomach in his crib, running his hand along the rails like a prisoner runs a tin cup along the bars of his jail cell.

My half-asleep heart melted.

I bundled him up and carried him and his duck downstairs, where we set up shop on the couch. He promptly snuggled down on my chest and went right back to sleep. And so did I.

What a lovely way to spend my morning - stretched out on my couch, cradling my baby.

9 Comments:

Jessica Spotswood said...

Oh, that sounds lovely. Thanks for sharing a little snapshot!

Jessica Spotswood said...

P.S. I'm sorry you couldn't be there on Saturday, too. But we'll see you next week (yay)!

Anonymous said...

That does sound wonderful. I spent my morning not harming my screeching children in any way. That's good too, right?

Unknown said...

What a wonderful way to start a day.

Thanks for stopping by my site today.

Anonymous said...

I love the baby cuddled into my chest...mine is almost too big for that now.

I laughed at the image of the prisioner running his tin cup down the bars...I so feel that way when my kids have used cribs!

I'm glad you both went back to sleep.

Kristine
www.somesemblanceoforder.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Aw, that is precious. Tonight, Gaby fell asleep on our way to dinner, and spent the evening sleeping on my shoulder.
Man I love those moments.

Jen Rouse said...

Beth went through a phase where she woke up super-early and we did that nearly every morning. It was indeed a sweet way to begin the day.

beth said...

That does sound like a beautiful morning. I love it when you will them back to sleep and it actually works.

And I hope this comment works. I've been over here a few times and it hasn't let me comment yet. Beat thing?

beth said...

Beta...Beta thing...looks like it's working now though.