Thursday, August 17, 2006

An Open Letter to the Tominator

Dear Tommy,

It's so hard to believe that just one year ago, you were such a tiny little guy, so angry at being evicted from your nice warm home under my heart. You were such a strong baby, and such a good sleeper (how I wish we could see that trait again!)



I didn't know how lucky I was the day you were born. I'd been in early labor for a week, and to be honest, I was just grateful to have you out.

Once I actually held you, I marveled at your tiny fingers and your squinched-up eyes. In fact, I was a little worried that you might not actually have eyes, since I didn't personally see them open until you were at least three days old.

Over the past year, you have grown and changed so much. My tiny boy who used to snuggle for hours in the sling now careens around the house, wreaking havoc wherever he goes. I have watched you study everything with careful precision, before learning exactly how to complete a task. The doctor used to comment on your serious expression, joking that you were figuring out a solution to bring world peace. She said you would probably be President some day.

I said you can be anything you want, as long as it's not a politician.

But you're not all thoughtful studiousness. Like your father before you, your smiles light up the room.



Your Aunt Sheryl sent you this ball pit for your birthday, and it is truly your favorite gift. The look on your face when you came downstairs was priceless.



Your MegaBlocks wagon was another favorite gift. Pops has spent hours pushing you around, while you grin and giggle like a madman.







But best of all, even though you are growing up, you still love to give bear hugs and snuggles. Sometimes you cling to me so tightly that I don't even have to hold on to you. I feel like the mother of a very strong chimpanzee when you do that, but it makes me very proud.



I love you so much. Happy birthday, my son.



Love,
Mama

8 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday, Thomas. He's absolutely darling.

(aside: glad to see you back! this post is dated 8/17, but I check here every day on my rounds and this is the first time I've seen it...?)

Heth said...

The look on his face as he studies his candle is pricelss. That Tommy is a little angel.

It's good to "see" you again.

Jill said...

Maybe I'm just the world's sappiest person, but this open letter made me get all misty eyed. :)

Happy Birthday to Tommy!

Jessica Spotswood said...

Oh, I was hoping you might post pics from his birthday party! And you did, and they're adorable! This--and your poem and Super-Hubby's piece for Crunchable--is so sweet. You three are such a wonderful little family!

Judy said...

That little man is SO VERY CUTE!

Unknown said...

Happy very belated birthday to Tommy.
His shirt in those pictures is fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Can't believe it's the same baby! He's sooo cute! That first year goes by so fast. (And so does the second just for the record) And what a sweet letter. Be sure to print it out and put it in his baby book.

Christine said...

He's adorable!!! I have a little guy turning ONE this Saturday. He is having a great party for me. : )