Monday, May 15, 2006

My Life Monday: How I Met My Husband

I was 16 when I met my husband, and from the first time I saw him, I knew there was something very special about him.

I had recently been through a painful break-up with my very first serious boyfriend. There are people who don't believe that a teenage relationship can be serious, but mine was. We dated for two years, and I loved that boy with all my heart. When he dumped me for a cute redhead, I stopped eating. I couldn't sleep. My mother, who thankfully understood, likened it to going through a divorce.

I threw myself into my studies, working harder than I ever had at school. I joined almost every club offered, but nothing could lift the melancholy that had settled over me.

Until I went to my friend J-Tron's 17th birthday party in January.

I walked down the stairs to his basement, and immediately a feeling of peace washed over me. There was this guy with a ponytail sitting in the corner of the room, talking to some other people. The sense of peace was radiating from him. I don't mean to sound sacrilegious, but it was like walking into the presence of Christ. Just instantaneous, complete peace.

I came home and told my mom about this guy I'd met, who played the guitar and was full of such incredible peace. I showed her a picture, and she said Guitar Guy looked like he had a big nose. (He doesn't, but it wasn't a very good picture.)

I knew that I really wanted to get to know Guitar Guy better, but it was another eight months before I even saw him again. We went to different high schools, different churches, and lived in different towns, so I didn't have a chance to get to know him at all. But he was never far from my mind. When I saw him at an outdoor concert in August, I hastened over to say hello. He had no idea who I was.

I decided that I needed to get serious about getting to know Guitar Guy, so I enlisted J-Tron's help. By the time J-Tron's 18th birthday rolled around, I had a battle plan to get Guitar Guy's attention.

I spent the evening hanging on his every word. I listened to tales of his childhood obsession with He-Man. I heard stories about his battles with his high school principal over freedom of the presses for the school newspaper.

At the end of the evening, J-Tron gave Guitar Guy my phone number, because he clearly was not picking up on the idea that I was interested in dating him.

So home I went, and I waited.

He didn't call. Three days later I had just about given up when the phone rang. We set up our first date, and the rest is history.

9 Comments:

Rachelle said...

What a great story! I'm glad it all worked out in the end. Thanks for sharing and for participating!

Chilihead2 said...

I am such a sucker for a "how we met" post! I'm glad you wrote about it.

Mall Worker said...

What a sweet story!

Anonymous said...

I never actually knew how you two first met! Well that's pretty cool!
Love, Banana Nose (guess who?)

Jessica Spotswood said...

This is a beautiful "just knowing" story! Thank goodness for your determination and J-tron's willingness to play matchmaker. ;)

Judy said...

Awww.

And now there are three.

Grammy said...

Isn't it marvelous how we can "just know" when something is right? I am so tankful for the guidance of the Holy Ghost in making decisions. It's funny, I can spend way too much time and effort worrying about which "purse" to buy. But the major decisions are easy. Maybe because we get more help with those. Thank you for sharing your story. I just love happy endings.

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this. It is so much fun to look back and see how it all worked out.

Your first date story cracks me up just like the first time I read it---classic!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story! I loved reading it.